Thursday, 7 February 2013

Homework? Fun?


One of the best things about being a parent is you get to do homework all over again. It was so much fun the first time round, and is only enhanced this time by the humiliation of being bested by your 10 year old daughter.

Okay, so I hated homework. Always have, always will. But it exists nonetheless and so I'm happy to help Kara whenever she needs me (apart from in maths, because embarrassingly she is already far better at it than me and my help is largely superfluous.)

The thing is, from what I remember of school (and it was a long time ago people) the times I learned the most was when the lessons were fun, so as a parent I have an opportunity. Homework can either be stressful and dull, or I can try to inject some life into the experience. Of course, it's not always easy - spellings are spellings, and sums are sums.

Recently though, I've been able to have some fun with Kara as she's been given half term projects in addition to her daily work. The best one was when they were studying Ancient Greece - she made a fantastic set of Mythological Creatures Top Trumps. She learned a lot, discovered some fantastic stories and enjoyed herself. This term they're learning about rivers - so she's been digging out extracts about river animals from children's literature and making a little booklet which she is illustrating. So cute!

So from time to time, homework isn't too bad. But this is only primary school homework. God help us when she goes to secondary school!

~ Bex ~

No comments:

Post a Comment