Thursday, 26 May 2011

The Hardest Part?

Obviously, I love writing. I spend most hours of every day sitting at my computer, unleashing a stream of words from my mind through my fingertips. The majority of the time the flow comes easily. Other times, not so much. Every writer knows the agony of a brain that won't respond. When it sluggishly rebels and refuses to co-operate. Anyone who saw my home would almost immediately be able to tell whether I was suffering from writer's block. If my house is a tip, then it's a good sign the writing is going well, as then all others things get neglected. If it's tidy and sparkling clean, then you know I'm in trouble!
But, for me, that is nothing, NOTHING, compared to the nightmare that is writing a synopsis. You've spent months on your manuscript, poring over it for hours upon hours to tweak every little word to perfection. Finally, you feel that you've obsessed sufficiently. It's time for your baby to learn to fly.
But despite the fact that for the past few weeks you've barely slept, lost in your own mind, pre-occupied with your characters and their plights, now comes the really hard part. Trying to succinctly describe your novel in a page? That one page is ten times harder than the three hundred and eighty that came before it!
Is it just me? Or do other writers hate this part too? I'm envious of anyone who can easily lay out their plot in an interesting and captivating manner. Because this is the part I truly agonise over. Without a good synopsis, there's no way an agent is going to make it to my sample chapters, so I know what's at stake. Yuck, my brain hurts just thinking about it. And don't even get me started on writing the covering letter...!

~ Bex ~

2 comments:

  1. I haven't written my synopsis for that very reason, so you're not alone!
    Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to know it's not just me! Good luck with yours too!

    ReplyDelete