Tuesday, 17 May 2011

Comfort Reading

Alexander McCall Smith is one of my favourite authors. With many successful series to his name, this prolific writer frequently provides the next chapter in the lives of his popular characters, so that it seems there is always a new book of his out! (I should add at this point that as my Mum is also an ardent fan, she buys the books and kindly allows me to pilfer them!)

I have just finished his latest offering – the next instalment in the Precious Ramotswe series, The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency, entitled The Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party. Such perfect bedtime reading! By now the characters feel like old friends, so reading about their lives is familiar and comforting.


I think what I love about his books, is that they are delightfully straightforward. The fabulously well-written, and often amusing, plots are centred around good people living their lives. There’s no bombings, no horrendous evil, no unbearable horror. Yes, there are intrigues and problems to overcome, but nothing is insurmountable to these lovable characters, who face life with courage, love, strong morals and acceptance that things don’t always work out the way you expect.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my thrillers, fantasies, drama…and the darker the better. But just sometimes, it’s refreshing to put all that to one side and slip into the calmer worlds of Precious, Isabel and the folks at 44 Scotland Street. They’re food for the soul.

Roll on September when the new Isabel Dalhousie book is out – The Forgotten Affairs of Youth. Have you got it on pre-order Mum?!

No comments:

Post a Comment